Liverpool FC confirmed yesterday that Spanish striker Fernando Torres have signed for the club. Torres, 23, has been a peripheral figure for his previous club Atletico Madrid after breaking through their youth system, being the top goalscorer for them for the past 5 seasons. I don't remember feeling this excited after we signed anyone before, so give me some time to do a little something
*hops around the room whooping
Alright then, here's a typical summary of the guy:
"A technically-gifted attacking player with a dazzling turn of pace, Fernando Torres possesses self-confidence and ability in equal abundance." -uefa.com
10 things not many people know about Torres:
1. The 23-year-old spent his early years in football as a keeper: "I played in goal until one day I got a couple of teeth knocked out by the ball," he explains. "I decided then that my career between the sticks was finished. Great save, though!"
2. Torres was snapped up by Atletico Madrid at the age of 11 after scoring a whopping 55 goals in his first season for amateur side Rayo 13.
3. It was just three years before the transfer rumours started. Aged only 14, the striker was linked to a host of European clubs, with Arsenal reportedly having a bid rejected.
4. In 1998 Torres was voted the best under-14 player in Europe following some dazzling displays in the Nike Cup. He'd later win player of the tournament at the 2001 European Under-16 Championships and 2002 European Under-19 Championships.
5. He was just 19 when he was named Atletico captain – the youngest skipper in the club's history.
6. It wasn't long before international recognition came. The striker won his first cap against Portugal in September 2003. Current Spain boss Luis Aragones describes him as a player who "never scores two goals the same".
7. Torres is no stranger to the hairdresser's. One fansite has counted 11 different hairdos since his first-team debut in 2001, including a mullet and a Mohican.
8. Talking of his appearance, the Spanish international is known in his homeland as El Nino, or The Kid, because of his baby-face.
9. Torres also has a penchant for tattoos. The striker has at least three to date, including one of his Atletico, Spain and now Liverpool shirt number, nine, on his right arm.
10. In May 2007 the forward revealed the words "You'll Never Walk Alone" (which is Liverpool FC's motto) written behind his captain's armband during a game against Real Sociedad. Two months later he signed for Liverpool, leaving the Vicente Calderon with a record of 82 goals in 214 league appearances.